Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Never underestimate the power of donations

hi all,
I know your thinking " oh, Frank is out to get some more stuff, that is why he is blogging again". Well the Petro-Can gift sure was nice and maybe it has inspired me or twigged my imagination because something else has come to mind to share - but I am not expecting any stuff - just wanted to share an experience that affected me.

Recently, I was at a local musical event and ran into a couple that had come to one of my first Family Support Groups in Brampton. Although this couple did not use FAME services much afterwards they did come to the holiday party. At the party, the husband had won a door prize of a haircut that had been donated. I asked if he had ever gotten the haircut, suspecting that he may have had his own stylist and not bothered using the gift. He emphatically informed me that he had gone and has been going ever since and that he is very committed to stick with him because of the kind donation that the stylist had shown to FAME.

This experience opened my eyes to the fact that when a business person makes a donation to a worthy cause it can really reaps benefits back to their business. This is probably why I am again out soliciting businesses for donations to the holiday party. Also, I have a number of businesses that give donations each year, which makes it easier. I sometimes find myself emotionally panicking when I am about to go into a business to ask for a donation but afterwards I usually feel good even if I didn't get the donation.

That is all I had to say. These are my musings.

ciao,

Frank

No comments: